Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Poppet by Dick King-Smith Elementary level 3 and 4

I have been reading the book Poppet to my level 3 and 4 students. It is a month long lesson that will be added to each week. This is part one of this lesson.

PART ONE

I started the lesson with simply reading the book out loud. It is a book about a baby elephant making friends with a mouse and finding out why elephants are afraid of mice. We then answered some simple questions like who is this? What is this? etc.

There is a chant that came with the book which helps the students with I am I am not statments. The chant goes as follows:
What is a mouse?
Are you a mouse?
No, I am not a mouse.
I am a frog.
What is a mouse?
Are you a mouse?
No, I am not a mouse.
I am a lizard.
What is a mouse?
Are you a mouse?
No, I am not a mouse.
I am a beetle.
What is a mouse?
Are you a mouse?
No, I am not a mouse.
I am a caterpillar.
We took turns saying this chant, then we drew a picture of out favorite animal in the book. When the students are finished their name goes into my jar. The last 10 minutes of class I choose a name and they go around with a puppet doing the chant to their classmates. The classmate then answers No, I am not a mouse. I am Csaba.

No comments: