Tuesday, September 19, 2006

A Lesson Brought To You By Kat

Lessons on Giving and Asking Personal Info/Describing

A. Here's something that worked well for me last year and this year. You can use it to gauge the level of a class and keep the noisier kids constantly writing and working at their desks. Unfortunately, it doesn't involve much speaking, but it does give them a chance to practice listening and writing...and drawing instead.

1) I give each of the kids a blank piece of paper
2) Tell them to write numbers 1-11 on one side. I usually tell them to draw lines with rulers so that they write in a straight line.

a. #1 My name is____________________
b. I've got ___________(color) hair.
c. I've got ___________(color) eyes.
d. My favorite color is__________.
e. My favorite food is__________.
f. I like ____________.
g. I don't like ______________.
h. I can _____________.
i. I can't____________.
j. I am _________ years old.
k. My favorite animal is a(n)_________.

Obviously, you can adapt the statements to your class level, but I used mine with a beginning fifth grade class.
3) As they are writing their personal information down on their paper, I'm doing the same thing on the chalkboard so that they can find out a little about me.
4) When everyone is finished, I tell them to turn their papers over and they draw and color their face on the other side. Some kids really get into it and some growl at me for making them draw.
5) When both sides are complete, I collect the papers and mix them up. I read their sentences aloud except for their name and the rest of the class has to guess who it is. This won't be too difficult for them, because the classes usually know each other well. If they can't guess who after ten sentences, then I show the drawing of that person's face. By this time, the kids should know who it is.

The kids loved it...just make sure you leave time to read everyone's.

B. TEN MINUTE GAME:

I used this today when I had five-ten minutes left at the end of class. I gave each student a small piece of paper. They fold it in half and write their name on one side. I put all their names in a bag and quickly model the game. I choose one piece of paper from the bag. Put it in the collar area of your shirt so it's sticking out, but you can't see it. Make sure the class can see it. (It's not really necessary to put it in your shirt, but it's fun and adds flair :)

Then, I ask yes/no questions to figure out who it is. (i.e. is this person a boy or girl? is this person wearing a black shirt? is this person tall? is this person wearing glasses? etc.) The person whose name I drew will go next.

No comments: