Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Pencil Box lesson for level 5

I have one level 5 class that is behind the rest english speaking wise so I made a real easy I like lesson to help them with vocabulary.

1. I started with handing some 9 students the letters P E N C I L B O X with scrable pieces. I asked the students holding the letters to stand up and tell me the letter. I wrote the letters on the board in the order the students told them. I then put dashes representing the 2 words the letters would spell. Simiar to hangman dashed. I started them out with P_ _ _ _ _ B _ _ , and continued to give them clues until they could see the words PENCIL BOX.
2. I walked around the room and asked simple questions. What color is your pencil box? How many pens are in your pencil box? Where is your pencil box?
3. I made some columns on the board with 6 headings. Color, Pets, Sports, Food, Jobs, Subjects I then asked all of the students like questions. What color do you like? We tallied the answers to see how many liked each color, pet, sports etc.
4. Each student rolled a dice(di). The number they rolled determined which heading they would write about. They followed the same outline but put in the correct number and thing.
Example
Color
In our class 7 students like red. In our class 4 students like yellow.
When we were finished we shared a few out loud.

No comments: