Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Lesson: How was your summer?

A good second week lesson plan idea.

Since I have had the pleasure of teaching last year I was unable to conduct a get to know you lesson. I took this opportunity to jump right in and start with the learning. This activity went well with all of my students ages 4th grade to 8th grade. Of course a few tweeks here and there were needed according to the levels of each class.

On the board I wrote out the following questions... How was your summer? What did you do this summer? Where did you travel this summer?

Underneath each question I also wrote examples of appropriate answers. Example: I had a wonderful summer. I played computer games this summer. I traveled/travelled to Lake Balaton this summer.

We reviewed and checked to make sure we understood all of the questions.

Students paired up and talked about their summers for 10 minutes using the board as a helper. Only ENGLISH was allowed during the talking period. The only time they were allowed to use Hungarian was when they were asking how would I say foci in english.

As they were discussing I went around and passed out paper and took some time to listen and discuss with them. On the paper the students were to write 3 to 5 things their partner did over the summer. I also went around to help with sentence structure and adding and subtrating a few things like rode a to He bike, or taking the from He played the football.

The pairs then took turns telling the other students what there partner did this summer. Having it written down really helped for those who had first day jitters.

No comments: