Friday, November 17, 2006

Vocabulary Review Game

All month I have been teaching my students new vocabulary with the use of flashcards. We are getting very good at it, and I can use the same set of flash cards with all levels, excluding some for the 1.a and 2.a classes. To review we played BINGO.

Listening Skills and Following Directions
I hand out a piece of paper to each student. Listen carefully, fold the paper in half the long way. Now do it one more time. I would like you to now fold this in half, now again, and you are finished. (The paper will be folded to make a small square, when opened it will reveal 16 small boxses, this is your BINGO BOARD). Everyone take a black pencil and draw in the lines.

Making your own BINGO boards takes up time and gives the students a quick refresher on the vocabulary before the game starts. It helps those who fall a little behind as well.

Depending on the age, I have the students write or draw certain vocabulary words. Again I use listening for this. If you are a boy draw a king, if you are a girl draw a queen. If you are 12 years old draw a monkey, if you are not draw a goat. If you are wearing red draw a rose, if you are not draw a boat. If you have a brother draw a.....you get the picture. I do this until every student has filled in all 16 boxes.

Then we play BINGO...I made them all fill every square to win, and I just had them take a red pencil and put an X on the word I called out. When they had BINGO they recieved a sticker. Wow, they love stickers!!! This time mine were fruity smelling stars!

No comments: