Saturday, September 23, 2006

What Time Do You... Lesson Plan

This lesson I did with my 5th and 6th graders, to review daily routine, telling time, and using simple present. Including the extra activity below, it took the whole 45-minute period.

*First, make a list on the board of daily routine activities (get up, eat breakfast, have a shower, go to school, go home, watch TV etc).

*Next, write some example questions on the board, leaving two lines between each question:

1. What time do you get up?
x
x
2. What time do you eat breakfast?
x
x

*Demonstrate asking the questions, and giving first person answers. Fill in your own answers.

1. What time do you get up?
I get up at 6:30.
x
2. What time do you eat breakfast?
I eat breakfast at 6:45.
x

*Ask the questions to a couple of students, and then write their answers on the board. Remind the students that in third person, the verb changes.

1. What time do you get up?
I get up at 6:30.
Csaba gets up at 6:15
2. What time do you eat breakfast?
I eat breakfast at 6:45.
Dorka eats breakfast at 7:05.

*Have the students write 10 of their own questions, and fill in the answers for themselves. When they finish this, they should work with their partner, ask their partner the questions, and then write down the answers in third-person form.

This was a good activity for my students because they got to speak some, but the writing kept them on-track. Some of them finished much earlier than others, so I came up with an extra activity: the game Memory (Memória, in Hungarian). I cut up some index cards, wrote the numbers 1-10 and the words one, two, three, etc to make one set (so they have to match 1 with one, 2 with two etc). The game was the biggest hit of the week, other grades even asked to play it.

No comments: