Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Remember M.A.S.H.???

M.A.S.H. Mansion, appartment, shack, house.

I remember playing the game M.A.S.H. all through Jr. High and High School. It was the game that determined who you were going to marry, what you would wear, how many kids and so on. I was sitting at home bored of reading for the day, so played a round of it with my imaginary friend I have developed through the help of Emily. The friend is Alice the Cow. Poor Alice had to marry Jared the Jaguar and was not at all happy. Anyway, I decided that this would be a fun way to get the students to think about the future and in this use the future tense.
I used this with all of my grades, I just had it tailored to whatever level I was working with at the time. I explained the word Category and translated MASH for them. They laugh because shack in hungarian is putri, which means really outhouse. The categories went as follows, but can be change and adapted to fit the needs of your students.
1. Write MASH on top of your paper.
2. Name 5 colors (dress/tux)
3. Name 5 boys/girls
4. Name 5 days of the week
5. Name 5 numbers 1-30
6. Name 5 months
7. Name 5 colors (explain that it is again, you are not stupid and did not forget we have done this)
8. Name 5 modes of transportation
9. Name 5 numbers 1-10 (kids)
10. Name 5 animals (pets)
11. Name 5 countries
12. Name 5 jobs
13. Name 5 numbers 100 and up (their weekly salary)

Have the students name their favorite animal and count the letters. Ex. monkey = 6, or cat = 3. This number becomes their counter. 1 2 3 cross out the S in MASH 1 2 3 cross out the number 2 color until their is only one in each category left.
It was an enjoyable way to learn the future tense, and the students really enjoyed sharing their information.

2 comments:

Kat said...

Great idea Laura! I'm using it today and my kids absolutely love it...only problem is that some boys wrote down my name for "who you're going to marry" and had to struggle through the end of the class blushing profusely. Haha!

jeremy said...

http://www.playmash.com